Camera Shy Take 52 - Week 2 - Reflection: Breaking down Life's Walls

Saturday, January 17, 2015

The second week of my photography challenge was a little harder than the first. What was the focus? "Local". Now yes I know you may be thinking "jeeslouise" that's easy, but as I never take the short route anywhere I wanted to do something that wasn't so obvious or literal. After having to spend my glorious Saturday morning with the kiddies at school, during which there was a light sprinkle of snow, I decided to brave the elements and an hour later I got my perfect shot."My Local Link to History" - boy if only this wall could talk.

Week 2 - Local - "My Local Link to History"



But it's only a wall you say? A little history lesson - this wall is part of the Ruins of The Great Abbey of Waltham built by King Henry II and the final resting place of Harold King of England.The Abbey of Waltham was the last in the country to be dissolved by Henry VIII yet this wall is still standing.

Being in the midst of so much history, I began to take a walk down memory lane - reflecting on my own life journey, the walls that stood in my way. The last 5 years have been a rocky road to trod - ups and downs being dragged from left to right. I have literally been around the mill and although I have some miles left on that road, I haven't given up trodding.

With a year just ended and a new one already started, I've realised that along the way somehow I broke down every wall that stood before me and kept on going. How did I do it? I narrowed it down to 5 things:

1. Keep your eye on the prize

I have always been the person to plan ahead, never been the one to jump on a whim and with that I already had my 10 year plan down by the age of 16. I knew that no matter what, I was going to achieve those goals. There were times when I felt like giving up completely, but being able to visualise it mentally did the trick. Now some may create a vision board to see it physically, but whichever is your preference, keeping your eye on the bigger picture can help with the motivation to overcome your hurdles.

2. Surround yourself with 3 types of people

Try to have 3 types of people in your life. A person older and more experienced than you to learn from - The Mentor. Someone on the same level as you to share ideas with and motivate each other - The Peer. Someone less experienced than you for you to mentor and share your experiences with offering encouragement - The Mentee. I cant remember where on earth I heard or read this but it was recently and it got me thinking about those in my life. It was then that I realised that I could find at least 1 person which had played and is still playing the role for each person mentioned above.


3. Accept the things you cannot Change

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." The prayer of Serenity - One of those things some may roll their eyes to, yes I know, but it took me AGES to get to terms with this because I do not like losing control of things - of my life. Remember - I like to plan everything!! But one day it clicked - why moan about things you cannot change? Accept the fact that you tried your hardest, potentially a better situation could be around the corner for you, or maybe that's just simply how things should have played out. Just keep going at it.

4. Believing in something bigger than YOU

I know there are many religions, beliefs, faiths etc however I have Christian beliefs and for a while I could not pray as I lost faith in everything and everyone. With the help from my nearests and dearests, I have been trying to rebuild that faith - slow process but steady. Believing in something bigger than you, a higher power than yourself could bring some solace to know you are not facing life's obstacles alone.

5. Ask for help

I am very proud, so much so that I would need to be on my last leg before I ask for help, even then I would probably continue to hop along because I often saw it as a sign of weakness. Over the last couple of years I have learnt that it is not a sign of weakness to ask for help, in fact, it is a sign of courage as you are putting your trust in someone else besides yourself. There is a saying - "No man is an island" - which I sometimes still think I am, but the moral is that you should not to sit in your struggle - Ask for help if you need it as a helping hand is better than none.



I have had a lot of support throughout the years to which I am ever so grateful for but the bottom line of this post is when you meet that wall you cant seem to go round, instead of putting your back against it and surrendering, hit it hard, break it down and Keep On Moving!


How have you overcome some of life's struggles?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for reading my blog post. Feel free to leave a comment - Let us get a discussion started!